Sunday, March 1, 2015

Dakota: A Spiritual Geography


Dakota: A Spiritual Geography
By Kathleen Norris (256 pages)
Published by Mariner
Bookish rating: 5

Prepare to love this book. I was so taken in by Norris's language, her ability to GET the weirdness of Dakota AND the excruciatingly small town, the vastness of its prairie, theological-slash-spiritual acumen, her portrayal of the depth and hospitality of the small (super duper small) church, the process of writing---oh yes, this book hit on a ton of relevant areas for me.

Quasi-memoir, quasi-meditation, quasi anthropological essay, this book is unique. I enjoyed it so thoroughly that I deliberately slowed myself down in reading it, stretching it out for eight months. Fortunately, Norris has published other stuff. So, even though this book is done, I'll survive.

Highly, HIGHLY recommended for anyone interested in the Dakotas, the writing process, monks (no, really), parallels between modern and ancient practices of Christianity, small towns, and . . . well, just good writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment