Sunday, December 28, 2014

Snobs






Snobs
By Julian Fellowes (288 pages)
Published by St. Martin's
Bookish rating: 4

We all love comedies of manners, right? Especially when they mock the British.

Honestly, pretty much everything I know about about England has been gleaned from countless lit courses, gazillion of books, TV, and movies. My point is twofold: First, I don't think I can be considered an anglophile if I've never even been to England. Second, I'm in no position to snicker in recognition of those aristocratic and wannabe aristocratic social rules, because I don't know the rules in the first place.

But really, who does?

And really, what does it matter?

This is so much of Fellowes's brilliance. From the point of view of an outsider, Fellowes narrates the saga of too pretty Edith, a reasonably well-to-do woman who marries an earl, mostly for the title and wealth. Edith's friend, telling the story, observes the nuances of class and status almost like an anthropologist. And it's hilarious. I had to read ever so slowly, because so much hinged on the ironic writing, the wry observation, and dialogue layered with meaning.

Plot-wise, Edith's downfall as she realizes charity planning committees in the country are not as fun glamming it up in London causes the novel to sputter a bit too long as the Edith and Charles (the earl) have to decide their marital fate, but overall, this book is a big fat winner. Recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment