Thursday, November 27, 2014

The Wolves of Andover

The Wolves of Andover
By Kathleen Kent (300 pages)
Published by Little, Brown
Bookish rating: 4



The Wolves of Andover is one of those books I read with less attention than it deserved. Read in snippets as I waited in Mom-related waiting rooms and before falling asleep at night, I wasn’t at my most discerning.

Whatever. It’s a good book. Set in Massachusetts in the 1600s, it follows the evolving relationship between Martha, a girl sent to live with her fussy cousin as a servant, and Thomas, a man who fled to the colonies to escape certain death after the English Civil War.

For some reason, the English Civil War repeatedly fails to suck me in when I read historical novels. But Kent is a talented writer and handles what apparently is my least favorite war quite nicely.

Kent has a good, believable eye for historical detail, and she hits a good balance of readability and dialect. I’m not the biggest fan of dialect-heavy dialogue, but she’s effective. I can “hear” the characters speak with what I’m imagining our colonial or Welsh accents.

Characters are fascinatingly complex and human, even the high-maintenance cousin (and really, how fussy can you really be in the 1600s?). And I loved that our heroine, Martha, is a prickly, sort of bitchy gal. I get it.

A solid, historical novel, creatively, almost eerily, imagined. Recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment