Wednesday, June 11, 2014

The Burgess Boys

The Burgess Boys
By Elizabeth Strout (320 pages)
Published by Random House
Bookish rating: 4.5

Oh, what can I say about Strout's latest novel? Strout is one of my most favorite authors in the Whole Wide World, so I pace myself with her novels. I read Abide With Me (freaking LOVED it) and Olive Kitteridge (freaking LOVED it), so I was excited for this one.

What's remarkable about Strout's writing is that you don't quite realize what she's done with a character or town or theme until she has gone and done it. And then you sit in awe. She's subtle, that Strout.

The Burgess Boys takes place in New York and Maine, and follows a family, mainly the two brothers, as they return to their depressing Maine town to help their sister manage the crisis of her teen son throwing a pig's head into a mosque.

The novel is a brilliant exploration of family relationships, race and "otherness," guilt, class, and probably a dozen other themes.

Loved it. Read it, folks. READ. IT.

No comments:

Post a Comment