Sunday, May 25, 2014

Unravelling

Unravelling
By Elizabeth Graver (298 pages)
Published by Hyperion
Bookish rating: 4.75

 I love it when I finish a book by an author I've never before read, utterly stoked to know there are OTHER books out there by this SAME author that will likely bring me reading joy. It's a happy feeling.

Unravelling has been around for awhile, so I'm late to the party on this one. Set in the 1800s in New Hampshire and Lowell, Massachusetts (the "City of Spindles" where so many young women worked in factories), Aimee is a complicated soul with complicated relationships. She wants to experience everything she can.

Graver's writing is amazing. She turns phrases just so, evokes moods, and gives Aimee an incredible voice. The richness of the language plus the various angles from which she gets to mother-daughter relationships, love, and grief.

Absolutely recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment